Thursday, September 21, 2006

"Attached" Syndrome

I've been meaning to blog about this topic for some time.


A week ago, a friend of mine blogged about how almost every girl she knew had at some point in time made a piece of handicraft for their boyfriends and pondered if girls are just trying to highlight our femininity or whether it is our innate ability to "turn" feminine when we are attached.


I'm one of those girls who make stuff for friends. I guess always feel that the personal touch would have a greater effect. Also cos in those days when I didn't get much pocket money, making things was always the cheaper option. =P Of course, each object came with a message... Like the roses for the choir pals that mark every christmas... (did i make any last year? memory failing me le... =P ) or the ez-link cards to commemorate 10 years of friendship... Or the cookies and cakes...


I hate baking for myself because although I enjoy baking nice stuff, it's meaningless when there's no one to share your joy in eating them. Therefore, I only bake when it's for someone else. And since the dear sister dislikes the cakes that I bake, the only cake that i bake regularly (or at least try to) is cheesecake for Godma. I'ld usually bake cookies.


I guess for me, baking stuff for the people that you love and the people around them makes me happy. Applies to making crafts too. It's nice to know that people appreciate the effort that you put into making something for them. And if its for that extra special guy, then it just makes me feel extra happy. =P


And when you meet someone who wouldn't be able to appreciate the hard work that you put into honing your baking skills (from failing in sec 2 home economics class to today's decent cookies), you can't help but feel a bit disappointed I guess.

No comments: