Sunday, July 16, 2006

A conversation the other night went...


I: You haven't met the right person to make you change your mind yet.

Friend: I haven't met the person who won't ask me to change my mind.

We were talking about relationships and changes;  I was trying to convince the Friend that being in a relationship with SOMEONE would require One to make certain changes to One's lifestyle, while the Friend was convinced that THE ONE should ideally be someone who doesn't ask One to change One's lifestyle.  The Friend also talked about how patience was important if SOMEONE wanted to see the changes happen. And that the Friend was fundamentally flawed.

How should it be? To change or to expect THE ONE to accept you for who you are? Since last year, changes have been ongoing, whether I like it or not...  But it never seems enough, does it?  I am who I am.  Nobody's perfect.  Everyone has flaws.  So is it that my flaw(s) is/are unacceptable? What is expected of me? Am I to keep changing myself to match what is expected of me?  Then that really wouldn't be me anymore, would it?

I hate to say it, but the Friend's logic seems to be more right than mine.  

1 comment:

diana said...

Here's a thought.

There are some things that you can probably change about your behavior, that are things that you can compromise with someone about. Like picking up after yourself, or squeezing the toothpaste out from the end instead of the middle, or learning not to be so uptight about whether or not things are always 100% perfect. It's called "compromise" and people always go through that with other people ... parents, friends, best friends, relationships.

But there are also things that are integral to who you are, and which are really what make you ... well, You. They are a part of you and if you changed that part of yourself, you wouldn't be the same person. Those are the things you shouldn't change.

Because you see, you can't love someone for the promise of what they can be. You have to love them for their imperfections.