Wednesday, December 30, 2009

Happy New Year...

Been a long time since my last post. I guess cos it's so easy to just post one-liners in FB that I hardly blog these days. Wonder how many people actually come by to check if there are any updates. =P

It's that time of the year again. Spinky's annual NYE sleepover. First time I'm missing it. First time I'm spending NYE with the Hubby since we started dating.

I always look forward to our gatherings at Spinky's, especially the NYE ones - we talk about nonsense, play silly games, watch tv and sometimes have a marathon drama serial session, eat a lot, doze off on her couches... Or pack ourselves in her bedroom and talk about personal stuff till the last person dozes off. Really appreciate her parents for hosting us time and again.

Was that how the sleepover started? Because we just wanted to hang out with each other all night long? Don't remember exactly when it started but probably around 2002/2003...

I do remember that I started the scavenger hunt in the NYE of 2004. I gave everyone an EZ link card to commemorate 10 years of friendship among the DHS members of our group and friendship in general. I called Spinky's mum to arrange to go to their place a few days before NYE to hide the cards and place the clues. I remember Spinky came home from dance class before I was done, so I hung around and greeted her when she got home. Think that was 9+ pm. I even joined them for dinner. I think we had pork ribs with lotus root soup. MMMMM... soup. Anyway, after the hunt, Spinky that she had stumbled on one of the clues after I hid them.

Over the years, we hung around at Spinky's longer and longer - we used to go home after brunch, but these days we go home after dinner on NYD. Two years ago, when Spinky moved house, we moved with her. But the sleepovers continued. Some of us might not make it there before 12 midnight, but we make it a point to go over to her place at some point in the night or the next day.

Next year marks 10 years since we met each other in VJC. Since we graduated, many things have changed. Some of us have changed jobs a couple of times, some have gotten married (well, one i.e. me) or are planning their weddings...

Despite what we've been through in our own lives over the last 10 years, we're still pretty much the same people we were 10 years ago when we get together. There are subtle changes, e.g. more serious issues have creeped into our NYD pre-brunch discussion topics, but it feels like we've never grown up... and I think that's why I always look forward to the sleepovers.

As much as I hope that the NYE sleepovers will go on year after year, reality will eventually catch up - would it still be possible to have the same kind of sleepovers now that we're married, or when we have our own kids?

All good things must come to an end. Just not right now, I hope.

No comments: