Sunday, April 23, 2006

A revival

Would appear as if my blog has revived. =P

Had lunch with a friend from my NUS days yesterday. Hadn't seen him in 2 years although we would chat online occasionally. Made me realise that I really should discipline myself to keep in touch with my friends on a regular basis.

Yesterday, someone commented that some ppl get so involved with their bf/gf that they don't really bother with their friends anymore. I hope I'm not like that, although I wonder if I would arrange to meet these friends more frequently if I wasn't attached.

--------------

Yesterday's sermon was about doing community work. The pastor quoted several verses from the Bible about how we should help the poor and stand up for them:

Psalm 103:8
Isaiah 41:17
Deuteronomy 15:7-11, 14-15, 17-22
Proverbs 14:31, 19:17, 21:13, 31:8-9
Acts 2:44, 4:34, 11:28

If you don't have a Bible, you can read the verses off the internet.

The pastor also read testimonials of the "poor" - defined as those who were in pain, in need or under-privileged... The experience was quite stirring. The pastor ended with a call to ask those who wanted to commit at that instance to help the poor when the opportunity arises. I was tempted to stand but held back by thoughts of how busy I was and would be. Although the pastor had said that busyness should not be an excuse, I couldn't help but let it pull me back. But the sermon definitely made me realise that I could do more to help others.

1 John 3:18
"Dear children, let us not love with words or tongue but with actions and in truth."

No comments: